Prepare a thorough analysis of the site before any design work is undertaken.
This will identify key aspects of the natural environment that should be protected and enhanced.
Avoid building on or close to important habitat areas.
Protect mature trees or other vegetation, particularly natives, and use them as features of the development. This is an effective way of integrating a new development into an existing environment.
Improve the ecology and habitat of the site as an integrated part of the development by:
- riparian and other planting, including street trees;
- treating land that has been contaminated;
- reducing stormwater quantity and improving stormwater quality;
- changing exotic plant cover to native plant cover (preferably eco- sourced);
- pest and weed management.