The primary objective of a stormwater system is to manage stormwater runoff to minimise flood damage and adverse effects on both the built and natural environments.
Design of the stormwater system shall include provision for:
- Meeting all standards of Auckland Council
- Minimising adverse environmental and community impacts
- Protection of aquatic ecosystems from potential adverse effects
- Compliance with environmental requirements
- Adequate system capacity to service the fully developed catchment
- Long service life with consideration of maintenance and whole of life cost
- Application of Water Sensitive Design solutions
- Minimisation of flood risk to life and property
- Safety in design – refer to Section 22.214.171.124.