Achieving the sustainability outcomes you aspire to in your home requires them to be considered throughout the entire process – from the earliest stages of design to the completion and everyday use of your home.
The process of ‘getting there’ can be divided in to the following five steps:
1. Define your priorities and set objectives
2. Decide if a rating tool or certification is right for you
3. Prioritise and test design
Amongst other things, design that aims to work with nature and like nature can:
4. Use systems and products to optimise the design
6. Use your home intelligently
- turning off the lights and appliances when leaving a room
- using the dishwasher and washing machine only when they are full
- setting the thermostat in your hot water cylinder to 60°C.
- composting your food scraps
- adding mulch to your garden to reduce evaporation and therefore the amount of water your plants will need.